Any D-7 Unit or individual within the District may request funds to support new and innovative programs for promoting bridge for youth. The D-7 Youth Entitlement Committee is responsible for evaluating the request.
The purpose of these Guidelines is to provide consistency in the Committee’s actions. These youth guidelines follow closely the D-7’s Policies and Procedures on Entitlements.
The following guidelines are used: (A youth is defined for the purpose of this committee as any individual still in high school or lower.)
- We give preference to Educational youth initiatives, especially those for new youth students, recognizing that teaching beginners is the lifeblood of bridge.
- We prefer to fund not-for-profit ventures (units, 501(c)3 organizations, etc.) or individuals who are not making a profit on the project. While we do not rule out “for profit” activities, we are mindful that District funds should not be reimbursing clubs or individuals for moneys that would be spent in any case.
- We encourage efforts that can be duplicated in other areas of the district.
- We give preference to new projects rather than existing ones. We would for example look more favorably at a request for supporting junior bridge in an area that did not yet have a program than for one that has been operating for several years.
- We look more favorably on projects where we are sharing costs. We prefer to see funding from the local Unit to demonstrate their belief in the project. We expect any youth project that qualifies for the ACBL supplement for the teacher to apply for that supplement and to note that in the grant.
- We expect that requests will bear the endorsement of the local Unit.
- If multiple requests come from a Unit, the Unit should prioritize those requests.
While the Youth Committee does work within a budget, we are not fully constrained by it. $1250 is the maximum amount that can be approved by the Youth Committee once our guidelines have been met. We are willing to ask the D-7 Board for additional funds for especially worthwhile requests.
Any questions on the Youth Entitlement Policy should be addressed to the Youth Committee Entitlement Chair.